Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Get Down With the Sickness



Morning sickness is a BITCH.

This is my 4th pregnancy, so I am no stranger to the less enjoyable side effects of pregnancy, but I have NEVER been this sick! I am very much a suck it up and power through sort of chick - I've worked up until the day before delivery with every child - but this all-damn-day sickness has knocked me on my ass. My house is a disaster, we're all living on frozen convenience foods (except for when my husband gets home early enough to cook), and I've spent a fortune on morning sickness easing/prevention products. Though I am still suffering, so obviously I haven't found a magic pill yet, I thought I'd share with you what I've tried so far, from most to least helpful.



The most helpful thing so far has been B6 supplements. According to my pharmacist, 75mg is the maximum recommended daily dosage during pregnancy. I ordered this brand from Amazon and take two with breakfast in the morning and one later in the day, as needed. Some days they don't make much, if any, difference, but the good days I get out of them are worth it.


 
The #2 spot on my list goes to these little drops of heaven. At this point, I have tried ALL THE GINGER THINGS, and I am sick to death of ginger. These don't have a strong taste, but you do get a little of the characteristic ginger kick, which I don't mind. I was struggling tonight trying to get through cooking dinner without taking a vomit break, so I popped one of these babies in my mouth and it quickly took my nausea down to a workable level. The candies come individually wrapped and a bag of 30 is $10.99. Worth every penny, in my opinion.
 
The next few things sort of fall in about the same position for me. They all helped, but either not a ton or for very long, or they caused some other issue.
 
 
 
My sister told me about this tea because it helped during her pregnancies. It's pretty tasty, actually, especially with Vanilla Silk Almond Creamer. It tastes like a vanilla chai latte and serves well as my coffee replacement. It can be pretty easily found at your local grocery store.
 
 
 
Sea Bands are probably the most commonly used morning sickness remedy. I've used them with every pregnancy, but found them to be only moderately helpful. It's summer and it's hot, so even though these things are tiny, they make my wrists sweat. Besides, if I leave them on for too long, they leave sore spots on my wrists. They do help some though, so they're worth keeping in your bag to slip on every now and then when you need a little relief. You can usually find a pair at your local pharmacy with the motion sickness remedies for about $7.
 
 
 
Ginger slices are not for the faint of heart. These babies are INTENSE. I will admit, they definitely helped with the nausea, but they also completely burned me out on ginger flavor. After a while, I realized I would rather deal with the sickness than eat any more candied ginger. A friend gave these to me so I don't know how much she paid, but some online shops have crazy high prices so buyer beware. She said she found them at either Whole Foods or Trader Joes, so if you have one local, I would check there before ordering online. If you're someone who enjoys a strong ginger taste, these would probably work well for you.
 
 
 
I was surprised to find myself less than impressed with these Preggie Pop Drops. They're sour, which didn't really appeal to me, and I didn't find them anymore effective than sucking on a Dum-Dum or any other hard candy. Lots of friends have recommended them, so I guess they help a lot of people, but they didn't do anything for me. Pass.
 
I have also found a few non-pregnancy related items that have helped a bit. Ginger ale, the old stand by, is effective. Again, since I'm sick of ginger flavor, I prefer the cranberry or blackberry (available for a limited time) flavors. Sucking on hard candy has worked in a pinch, so I've started keeping butterscotch candies in my purse like a grandma. Finally, drinking plenty of water and eating small frequent meals/snacks usually helps to keep the worst of the nausea at bay. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in survival mode right now, so whatever gets me through, I'm on board with. I love oatmeal or greek yogurt in the morning; protein packs with cheese cubes, cashews, and dried cranberries, a white chocolate macadamia Clif Bar, or a Hawaiian sweet roll for snack; Stouffer's mac & cheese for lunch; and a tiny portion of whatever my husband pulls together for dinner.  This is not healthy eating, I get that, and I don't intend on continuing this through the rest of my pregnancy. At this point, though, Priority #1 is Don't Puke.
 
 
Disclaimer: I was not provided with products or reimbursed for my review. Everything was purchased with my own money and all opinions are my own.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Preggie pops worked for me...or anything sour. But ginger caused me to get nauseous! That's how i suspected I was pregnant both times! I had ginger tea and it made me sick.